What’s your running persona? Are you participating in a Couch to 5K program, training for 10K fun race or are you a regular marathon participant? Or perhaps you enjoy cross country trail running. Regardless, physical therapy should be a big part of your training.
“In running, it doesn’t matter whether you come in first, in the middle of the pack, or last. You can say, ‘I have finished.’ There is a lot of satisfaction in that.” — Fred Lebow, New York City Marathon co-founder
And here are some additional inspirations running quotes
Physical therapy for runners is a special and specific practice. At The Therapy Network, our therapy specialists offer a full range of therapy options.
Running Facts for Everyone
Running can be part of a healthy lifestyle. If you are considering participating and starting a running program, there are many smartphone apps, programs and local groups to support your start. If you are a seasoned runner, you already know many of the benefits. Here are a few benefits worth reviewing:
- Running cuts your risk of heart disease and possibly cancer.
- Do you want to burn up to 100 calories per mile?
- Running strengthens joints and bones
- Relieve stress with running
- When running outdoors, you get a healthy dose of fresh air
- The cost to start running for exercise and health is minimal compared to other sports.
- Running is part of a healthy lifestyle plan when you follow safe running guidance.
Why You Should Make Physical Therapy Part of Your Plan
With all the positive attributes of running, you may be wondering why you should include “physical therapy for runners” in your plan. With any sport or physical activity, you must ensure that you are following the guidance to prevent injury.
If you are embarking on a running program, or if you are an experienced runner, it is time to consider booking an appointment with a running therapy specialist.
Over 60% of avid runners experience an injury each year. That’s an injury for every 100 hours of running. Many of the injuries can be remedied with a few days of rest, but some will need medical attention. One way to avoid injury while enjoying running is to meet with a running therapy specialist.
Do You Have the Proper Running Gait and Shoes?
A top way to ensure that you run injury-free is to review your running gait and the fit of your shoes with a
specialist. This tip is for those that are starting a couch to 5K training program and for anyone embracing running. Even if you have been running for years, it is not too late to evaluate your gate and your favorite shoe choice.
Many running injuries are from overuse and are prevented in the future by following the guidance of a sports physical therapist. At The Therapy Network, we offer tools for both novice and experienced runners to include:
- Video Analysis: A video gate analysis seeks to identify the root of an injury or a bad habit that may lead to a future injury. At TTN, we can correct any form or gait issues before they lead to an over-use injury.
- Running Shoes and Orthotics: A Therapy Network specialist can advise you on the best running shoe to fit your needs and if orthotics are needed. The Therapy Network is a resource for custom orthotics in Tidewater, Virginia.
Injury Recovery with Physical Therapy
If you are a runner that has experienced a recent injury or if you are prone to over-use injuries, it is time to schedule an appointment with a specialist. You may find that a slight modification to your running plan will solve many issues.
- Sports Therapy Taping: Would you benefit from Kinesiology Taping? After an evaluation by a Therapy Network specialist, they may recommend taping as a training solution. Taping reduces pain while also improving performance.
- Shin Splints and Foot or Ankle Conditions: If you are a runner diagnosed with shin splits or a foot and ankle condition, a sports physical therapist at The Therapy Network will create a custom recovery plan.
If you have been trying to self-treat a running injury, it is time to see a specialist. Not only can a running therapy specialist shorten your down-time, but they can also provide injury prevention education. Education is the key to running injury free. Yes, you can download a running app to your smartphone, but a one-on-one review with a specialist will ensure a positive running experience and future.
You Do Not Need a Physician’s Referral in Virginia
Raise your hand if you would like to receive guidance from a running specialist but are dreading the physician’s referral process! Well, the good news is that you do not need a physicians’ referral to visit The Therapy Network in Virginia.
If you just started a running program or if you are training for a marathon, you can see a therapist specialist this week.
Life in coastal Virginia affords us mild temperatures, even in the winter months. Our communities offer many places to run, including park trails. Don’t delay in scheduling an appointment for a review with a specialist. A TTN team member can provide education and keep you running throughout the year.
Appointments Available in Coastal Virginia
If you live or work in Norfolk, Virginia Beach or Chesapeake, Virginia, there is a Therapy Network near your neighborhood or office. With six locations
in Tidewater, Virginia, there is TTN near you now. We also have appointments
available this week with a running therapy specialist.
When thinking of physical therapy for runners, think of The Therapy Network.